Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Thursday, February 19, 2004
 


Days like this are truly rare, indeed. Not only did I resurrect both of my dead computers, but I also finally got the audio working again on my shop computer (Dell tech support was no help - I figured it out, myself). And to top it all off, I am now prepared for performing BIOS updates in the event I kill another one in the future. I have a main board (the one I used earlier to restore life to the server) that I can just pull out whenever I need it and plug it in and I've got my BIOS updater/restorer.

I was thinking I might be able to use this method as a low-cost (FREE!) flash programmer for other projects. The beauty of this uniflash utility that I found is that the source code comes with it. I could modify it as needed, if I have some need to program a flash chip for, say, a robotics project.

Hmmm!

Here is a picture of the setup I used to recover my BIOS:


And here is a semi-close-up of the BIOS chip that it runs with (it's the chip with the funny looking AWARD sticker on it):


I am thinking of getting a zero-insertion-force (ZIF) socket to plug into the board to make it easy to swap the chips whenever I do a hot flash. And I have some extra main boards now that don't work, so I could burn a backup BIOS of this board into one of their chips in case I accidentally kill the BIOS of my BIOS burner board. That way I won't lose the ability to burn BIOSes.

Understand?

I'm not sure I do. Anyway, I just tested two other main boards that I picked up today, and they work. They're both old '486 DX 33 MHz boards, so they're not of much use. I wasn't able to test them, earlier, because I didn't have an ISA video card, and these two boards only have ISA slots. But I dug through my boxes and found an ISA video board. I also found another PCI video board. And both video boards work! So, now I have three video boards. Actually, I have three other video boards that are ISA, but they also have a VESA local bus on them. They're not very elegant or useful to me, so they will likely become part of an art project.

But with all these working main boards I have now, it seems kind of a shame to just hang them up somewhere. Seems like I could build something with them. Maybe I will make them functional art pieces. Just plug a serial I/O board in and have them drive some serial devices. Believe me, I have plenty of serial I/O boards.

In fact, I have lots of boards. Look!






I am being overrun with boards! Pretty soon, they'll be coming to take me away, ha ha! To the funny farm, where everything is beautiful.

But not today.

I know, it's late. Time for bed. I hate for days like this to end!

posted by Bill  # 11:10 PM