Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Monday, February 09, 2004
 
I had a thought today. I know, that's pretty scary. But being without a web server was bugging me, and it really bugged me that I was without a web server only because I didn't have a particular set of ones and zeroes programmed into a read-only memory chip. ARGH! So, desperation called for desperate thoughts.

I wondered if it was possible to burn a flash ROM for one motherboard by using another motherboard. I did a little digging, and lo and behold, some desperate techie person had the same idea I had quite a few years ago. There is a hot flash utility that will allow me to do this. The problem is, I need a working computer to try it on.

The other computer that I killed would have been perfect to try this on. But, since it is dead, that left me extremely desperate, so I took other measures.

I got out my magic box.

My magic box consists of bits and pieces of old computers - motherboards (of the '486 variety), serial cards, video cards, ethernet cards - cards out the wazoo! I wondered if the motherboards were too old to have programmable BIOS chips in them. One is definitely too old (it has a genuine EPROM on it - with the UV erase window and all). But at least one of the other motherboards has an EEPROM on it. I couldn't find the datasheet on it, no matter how deep I dug on the Web, so I know it is old. It has a 27C part number, which made me think it was an EPROM, but it also has the programming voltage printed right on the chip, so I know it is electrically programmable. It also has the same number of pins as the BIOS on my dead server, but I don't know if the pinout is compatible or even if it can be programmed with the flash utility I have (it doesn't have this chip listed among the supported chips, so probably not).



Anyway, I just thought it was cool that I assembled a working '486 (100 MHz) computer on my desk top. No case - just the motherboard with a video card, a multi I/O card (with no disk drives attached -- yet), power supply and a keyboard and monitor.

It works just fine!

I suppose I could put together a really slow web server with it. Maybe another time.

By the way, a new theory as to why my other computer died was that I think I may have plugged the power supply connecters in the wrong way - plugging P8 into where P9 should have gone, and P9 into where P8 should have gone. That would have put 12V where only 5V would have been happy. A definite possibility.

Also, after assembling a computer on my desk, I never got to try the hot flash utility after all. I don't know if it will work, I don't think it will work, and I'm not going to kill another computer in the process. SO THERE!


posted by Bill  # 11:27 PM