Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Sunday, February 22, 2004
 
Today I made a copy of the BIOS that is on the main board that I now use for burning BIOSes. But in the process, I ran into the exact same problem as I did when I blew the BIOS on the web server. The floppy disk became corrupted. I am convinced that either there is a virus in the "Caldera Dr. DOS" disk image that I used to create a bootable floppy disk, or the disk image itself was corrupted. Fortunately, today I did not lose the BIOS. The disk corruption occured while I was saving the contents of a BIOS chip to disk. Which, by the way, was the first thing the Award flash utility did under Caldera DOS just before burning (and corrupting) the web server BIOS.

So, two different floppy disks, two different floppy disk drives, two different computers, two different BIOS utilities, same operating system, same problem. Hmm. Gee, I wonder where the problem is? Everything points to Caldera DOS.

I used Windows XP to create a bootable floppy disk, and to no surprise, all BIOS read/write activities from that disk were successful. No problems whatsoever. Except, gee, why does Microsoft take up so much disk space? I think I am going to have to dig up an old MS-DOS disk and just go with straight MS-DOS for doing the BIOS stuff.

Anyway, I spent some time cleaning out the shop today. It's going to be great once I get all the CRAP out of here! Hopefully, that will be soon. I saw some guy on Craig's List looking for electronic stuff for an art project. I scrounged a bunch of stuff together to possibly give to him, although he has not written back to me, yet. But some of this stuff looks like maybe Chris or I would like to use it in OUR computer art project. So, we'll see how much of this CRAP I can actually get rid of.

posted by Bill  # 6:45 PM