Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Thursday, February 19, 2004
 


Woo hoo! The universe was good to me today. Thank you, universe!

Not only was I excused from Jury Duty, but I got one of my two dead computers back up and running. Not the web server, yet, but that's my next project.

Here's the deal. I put out a plea on Craig's List for any "scrap" motherboards that people might have and two people came through for me. I got a few more motherboards, and a ton of extra stuff, too. For free! But most of it is junk. Or, well, not very useful. Old computer stuff. But I had a good time plugging things in and seeing what worked and what didn't. I am definitely well-equipped for a computer hardware art project, now!

So, here is a picture of my computer ("Tesla") with the new motherboard in it before I had turned it on, yet. Of course, I tested the motherboard before installing it, so I knew it was at least good enough to attempt a boot-up with it.



I turned it on and, to make a long story short, I got it to boot! I have not plugged in the network or speakers, yet, to see if I have Internet connectivity or sound, but it boots. At one point it asked me to insert the Windows 98 CD to install a driver, but the driver stack didn't yet include IDE, so I was unable to read the CD. Fortunately, I was able to pull an adequate driver off a Windows 95 CAB file directory that was on the hard drive.

Hmm.. Wait a second. If IDE was not up, how did it access the hard drive? That doesn't make sense. It was looking for a PCI/IDE driver. Maybe it was for an IDE channel it found on a PCI card (I know there is one in there). Anyway, I better boot up again to see if I can access the CD-ROM drive at all.

I still have a few more tests to perform, obviously, but it looks good. I can at least put this up with a notice telling people that the web site is down when they try to access it.

Here is a series of images taken during the boot process:


Good BIOS report. I've got 128 MB of RAM in this puppy! Part of today's acquisition!


Checkdisk (scandisk?) started since I had a problem with a driver installation and had to reboot before Windows completely started.


Scandisk report - there was a bad date that I elected not to fix, hence the "Not Fixed" message in the directory structure.


And it's up! The picture is blurry, but so is the monitor, so this is a double whammy.

Once I get my web server back up, I will move the images to it and will update them to large images. Or maybe I won't - you get the idea. They're a little small to look at, and I don't have unlimited space under my Internet provider account.

Anyway, I have another motherboard that looks like it might be a good candidate to attempt a hot flash process to burn a BIOS (a GOOD BIOS) for the web server. I'm going to milk all this good fortune for what it's got. I am afraid if I wait until tomorrow to try, it will be too late. I don't often have days like this.

I'm just having too much fun! Well, I guess I'll run some final tests and plug this baby into the network and put up a "still broken" page in place of the web site.

posted by Bill  # 5:51 PM