Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Friday, May 21, 2004
 
Now that all my files - all the files I ever created - are on one drive, I am enjoying browsing them to see what thoughts have gone through my mind over the years.

I came across a file entitled IGNORANCE.DOC that I thought was worthy of my attention. In it, I listed two bumper stickers that seemed particularly representative of the level of ignorance in the general populace:

1) If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

2) If you ain't cowfolk, you ain't shit!

One that was not on the list but that comes to mind is: I hate stupid people.

The first one just seems like a classic to me. Somehow, I don't see the connection. It sounds like whomever wrote it is trying to base an argument on itself. If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat? Isn't that kind of like saying, if we're not supposed to comb our hair, then why is it made in strands? Or, if we're not supposed to drive foreign cars, then why are they made overseas? Or, if we're not supposed to eat birds, then why are they made of poultry?

Are we supposed to eat meat? I guess I am missing the argument.

I'm not sure the second one is tongue-in-cheek or not. A literal translation seems to be that if you are not cowfolk, then you are not shit. My first reaction to that is, thank God for that! I wouldn't want to be shit. It's kind of funny, because I can see an ignorant person saying it, thinking he's putting you down, when it can be interpreted as if he is putting himself down. I guess it is a statement for the ignorant that only the ignorant wouldn't find offensive...unless they're not cowfolk.

Now, the "I hate stupid people" bumper sticker seems to scream, "I hate myself!" I think only a stupid person would drive around with a bumper sticker proclaiming their hatred toward others who they perceive to be less intelligent than themselves. Seems like they're setting themselves up for a red-face situation. All it takes is one stupid move on their part to reveal the hypocracy.

Anyway, I just found it to be amusing. Speaking of amusing, I also found a VERY STRANGE poem that I wrote in December of 1998. That's not all that long ago! And, just so you know, I have never done drugs, and I have never been drunk. Therefore, I have no explanation for this one. :-) But here it is:

It is entitled: The World's Most Bizarre Poem
And it goes as follows:

Dis ting, dat ting
Everywhere a ting ting
Just sittin' here slicin' butt chips
with my lap off kilter
Itsy bitsy socket wrench
Food processor is on the fritz
Virtuous fortune lead the way
I need more 30-weight oil
Kwatonka! Me feel heat!
Got a problem with metric?
Platitude platitude give me a wink
Give me plasmodium I'll give you a sink

Hmm... Was this file restoration really worth it? I'm not sure I want to keep everything I have ever created. :-)

posted by Bill  # 9:54 PM