Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Tuesday, June 29, 2004
 
My little "combat robot trainer and test platform" is up and running. I call it the 'Trike'. I also refer to it as the six-hour battle bot, since that's about how long it took me to make it.

It is a blast. I wish it was faster and had some traction, but that doesn't diminsh the fun. I took it to the parking lot across the street (it needed some help getting up the hill, due to lack of traction), but mostly I just drove it around the carport of the apartment building. It got the attention of a couple of my neighbors. One neighbor friend who knows nothing about this sort of thing thought it was cool, so I let her drive it around a bit. She was pretty good at it for never doing anything like that before. I think it is partly due to the intuitive way I have the controls set up, too.

Anyway, I captured some video of the beast. Have fun watching it as I head back out to do some more driving! ;-)

The video clip shows how the Trike can be controlled at slow speeds as well as at full speed. I want to put some wheels on it that actually have some rubber on them - or wrap them with some kind of rubber belt. The drive wheels are just this hard plastic and they're already very worn. The front wheel is just a caster wheel (that I originally bought a couple years ago for my battle bot, Road Rage).

It works well. Well, I'm off again. I want to see how long these batteries last.


posted by Bill  # 11:37 AM