Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Saturday, June 05, 2004
 
Okaaaayyy... Something is adrift in the ether this morning. This replacement modem just won't stop locking up. I sent an email to my ISP to see if anything is going on on their end, but no reply, yet. At least I haven't checked my mail, anyway. I haven't been able to - my modem won't connect!

Well, it is connected now. I went to Westell's web site to see if there was a firmware upgrade for the modem I have. It said there wasn't. However, the guy at my ISP sent me an upgrade about two years ago that I never bothered to try. Today seemed like the day to try it, so I dug it up and fired it up and - guess what - it actually upgraded my modem firmware.

So why does the manufacturer say there is no update available?

Actually, the update - once complete - said "Update FAILED!" So, I tried it a couple more times. It gave the same results each time. However, when I run the diagnostic on the modem, it reports the new firmware version and it tests out fine. And I am writing a new entry in my 'blog, so it must be working.

We'll see if it locks up again.

Place your bets.

posted by Bill  # 9:58 AM