Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Monday, June 28, 2004
 
Quite some time ago - like when this whole Computer Circus 'blog began - I took an old dead power supply (yeah, remember that one?) and gutted it, and tried to install a much smaller power supply inside of it, along with an embedded computer. Well, that didn't work out, because the power supply I installed (that I bought supposedly brand new from a surplus electronics store) didn't work.

I abandoned that project, thinking I would never find another power supply like the one that didn't work. But I put a search up on ebay with a six-month lifespan on it, and just the other day, I hit paydirt. I just bought another tiny 100W power supply and am waiting for it to arrive. This means, I can now finish that project. Good thing I didn't throw it away. Actually, I did at one point, but fished it out of the trash before it got dumped.

So today I spent some time installing the embedded computer and a disk drive into the power supply case, along with the old dead tiny 100W power supply that will soon be replaced with a WORKING version.

Here is a shot of the work in progress. The embedded computer is being installed at this point:


And here you can see I have installed a laptop hard drive. I bolted it right to the outer casing. The embedded PC is installed and is just waiting for the power supply:


And here is the tiny computer fully assembled:


Looks just like a power supply, doesn't it? I think it will make a great little shop computer for programming microcontrollers, etc. In fact, I was thinking of installing it into my combat robot ("Road Rage"), either with a long extension cord, or an on-board power inverter, to implement some autonomous control into the beast. It would be a great test bed for my RC4 device. I would love to drive it around, recording the R/C control signals that I give it along its path, then play back the sequence to watch it repeat the course on its own.

Anyway, just something fun to play with. I'll make sure I get some video of the activity and make it available here when that time comes. :-)

posted by Bill  # 3:09 PM