Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
 
The software demons have possessed me the past few days.

It started in the usual fashion. I got an idea in my head for something and I thought I could fire up Delphi and whip out something in a couple of hours. But here I am, five days later, and I am still working on the foundation. Nothing is ever easy or quick in software development.

And by the way, who ever drummed up the term "software programming?" I hear (and read) this term a lot. I even saw an ad on television about a technical school where the guy supposedly learned all about software programming.

I wish I knew what the hell it was.

Since I have been programming computers over the past 26 years, I have always been under the impression that I was programming computers and that software was the result of that programming. I thought I was creating software, not programming it. I didn't know software could be programmed. I mean, I have created software simulations of embedded hardware systems, and these simulators executed code that was targeted for the processors that we simulated, so I guess in a sense there was some software programming going on there. But, all in all, it still seemed like computer programming to me.

Computer programming. That's the term I use. Maybe I'm just old school. Maybe I've missed the boat somewhere and nobody is actually dealing with computers anymore - only software. Am I off base on this? Am I that far out of the loop?

Help me understand!

Anyway, I got sucked back into this computer programming mode ("software development" if you really feel the need to refer to software when discussing it) and I think my muscles are beginning to atrophe. The whole world goes away when I am in that mode. It's just me and the box. There was a time when I lived for that. But not anymore. I have too many other things I want to do.

It's time to get out of the box! This application will join the ranks of my many unfinished COMPUTER PROGRAMMING projects.

Death to computers!



posted by Bill  # 12:29 PM