Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Monday, August 16, 2004
 
Wow. Order an Apple computer one day, and you get it the next. I not only ordered it one day and got it the next, but I ordered it in the afternoon and got it in the morning!

So now I have a dual 2GHz G5 computer running OSX (10.3 Panther). The thing weighs a TON! The keyboard is weird, and the computer itself is not much to look at (reminds me of an air conditioner or something). But it's cool. I installed Final Cut Pro on it, so now all that is left is to learn how to use it. HAAAAA!!!

I'm sick of learning about computers. I just want to make movies.

Anyway, I got to thinking about my up-coming robot building class and thought it might be an opportunity to promote my RC4 device (or some derrivative thereof). And I revisited the FailSafe module idea. And, since I had one FailSafe module left, I thought I would see about converting it into some kind of robot controller.

So, last night I copied the code for PIC2 of RC4 and stripped it down to just the functionality I wanted. I tweaked it and tested it today, and it's up and running. I just need to add some routines to do things like ramp up the pulse width signal (to prevent driving an external motor from a full stop to full speed, or from full forward to full reverse) and to calibrate itself to the incoming signal and to save fail-safe settings.

What I have essentially accomplished is I have added some likeness of PCM control to an ordinary FM transmitter. When you consider how much more PCM radios cost than ordinary FM radios, that's a pretty big deal (in my mind). I figured out I can make the FailSafe modules for about $11.00 apiece (even less if I can get them in bulk quantities). I can get 12 boards (plus 18 single PWM driver boards and 6 dual PWM driver boards) from ExpressPCB for about $63 (that's for three PC boards, but on each board I can get four FailSafe modules, 6 single PWM drivers and 2 dual PWM drivers).

So, if there is enough interest in the class (though I doubt there will be, but perhaps there will be over time with successive classes), I can charge, say, $15 per FailSafe board, collect $180, and send off to have some boards made. Perhaps I can charge $15 for one in kit form, and $20 (or $25) assembled. But then the idea is to keep the cost of building a robot to a minimum, so I don't want to charge too much. I'm certainly not going to get rich off of them, though.

Anyway, no pictures today...and I've got to run. By 'blog is getting stale, so I just wanted to post an update. At least it's SOMETHING.

posted by Bill  # 5:25 PM