Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Saturday, July 09, 2005
 
Synopsis:
- I put my car up for sale and someone bought it the next day.
- I was without a car for a couple weeks and felt totally stranded.
- I wanted to buy an old Honda Civic Wagon.
- I wound up buying a Honda Civic Hatchback (in a severe lapse of judgement) that won't pass the smog test (which is a fucking scam in California, anyway). The tires were shit, so I swapped them with the tires on my wife's Honda Wagon that died of a timing belt failure.
- I took two old hard drives and stuck them into an old computer and installed Fedora Core 4 Linux on it.
- I plugged into a Linux user group and watched some geek spend hours on my computer doing who-the-fuck knows what that didn't get me any closer to what I wanted, and wound up not even working when I got it home. Damn geeks! ;)
- I have been fighting with Linux to get Apache, MySQL and PHP ("LAMP" as *they* refer to it) up and running. Sure it's easy - if you already know Linux!
- I found a huge computer case (with five cooling fans in it) in the trash today at my apartment building. Of course, I retrieved it. *** WHY?! ***
- Someone wrote an article about blogging for a campus newspaper and included references to my blog (the entry showing the pins sticking out of my hand). God knows why...but he's not talking.
- My hand still hurts a little and gets stiff. Only regained about 90% normal range of motion...so far.
- The hillside it a total fire hazard. Fortunately, nobody lit it up this Fourth of July.
- We got ANOTHER new cat (a kitten) and I discovered it is stone cold deaf. Our other cat hates it.
- My wife has three job offers on the table and is soon to be making a 6-figure income. HOLY SHIT!!!
- I still don't have a job -- even a rotten one. Maybe I can work at Taco Bell. Maybe.
- I hate the fact that nobody speaks English in America anymore. How do you say "fuck it" in Spanish?
- I think it is TOTALLY cool that the Mars rovers are still going strong. Why do people hate that we're hitting comets with copper probes for a mere $300 million when we're spending BILLIONS of dollars to kill thousands of people on Earth? And that's OK?
- I absolutely loathe, detest and despise the weather here. Mars couldn't be much colder. IT'S JULY ALREADY! WHERE'S THE SUMMER!
- I wrote this blog entry. Maybe someone will write about it.

Details:
- Later.

posted by Bill  # 12:50 AM