Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Friday, July 22, 2005
 
Well, now I'll never know for absolutely certain if the guy who bought my magazines was trying to scam me or not. He eventually wrote back and said he got me confused with someone else from whom he ordered something. Lockheed Martin even wrote back and said they couldn't tell me anything about the employee (company policy), but that the address was a valid LM address. And the money order hasn't bounced, yet.

The guy said he received the magazines, but they were left by a door that he doesn't use often, and his wife found them...and there was a "UPS" notice on the door (even though I shipped them USPS media mail). So who knows. Now he says he doesn't know if it was UPS or USPS but that he is happily reading the magazines. So I may never know for sure...but he still thinks I'm moving to Arizona...so perhaps we're even.

Nothing to report on the Computer Circus front. I'm still removing stuff from the workshop. Going to have a garage sale tomorrow. I took an old monitor and a ton (well, a bunch) of AOL and other CDs to the recycling place yesterday. I also sold an old (14-year-old) video transmitter kit that I bought in 1991 and never assembled, so now I don't have to find a place for that. I found a tiny desk that was perfect for my workshop that now replaces the behemoth desk that used to be here, so that's where I am sitting right now. It has three drawers on the right, and two bookshelves along the left side and takes up very little space (comparatively, anyway), so that's a good thing. Now I just need to get the huge desks physically out of here (i.e. SOLD) and I'll have a real room out here for the first time in...well...since I've been here. No more tripping over crap!

I'm spending the day putting together a resume to shoot on over to Yahoo!. I recently met a woman who lives nearby who competes in combat robots with a heavyweight robot...and she works at Yahoo!. I helped her with her robot and she took it to a fight in New Orleans and had a good time, so now she's helping me connect to Yahoo! to see if there is a place for me there. I think it could be fun to work at Yahoo! - hopefully, I can get in. It sucks to be out of work when you can't afford to be out of work, and I really want to get in somewhere where I can build up my knowledge and skills as I progress into the 21st century.

Heh.

At least if I was working, I would have 8 hours a day that I could focus on honing my skills, unlike the distracting home life as of yet, trying to stay on top of household chores and projects, etc. It's a full-time job to stay at home - no wonder I always felt like I could never get anything done in my personal life when I was working full-time. One thing I'm not going back to, however, are 60-hour work weeks! Ideally, I'd like to have a part-time job, but I'll take full-time at least for a while to replenish my savings. Besides, I have a new robotic venture I want to explore (which involves making a live ant be the pilot of a small vehicle). Details of that will come at a later date, probably as a project on my projects page.

Also, I want to build a small flame thrower to go up in one of my night-flying model airplanes. Wouldn't that be cool? I'll get one working on a combat robot, first.

posted by Bill  # 1:40 PM