Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
 
Designer vs. Developer
Somebody please educate this industry about the difference between a designer and a developer! It is hard enough to find a job to get my foot in the door with web stuff, but to deal with employer ignorance only compounds the situation.

My wife runs into this all the time. She is more of a designer and she often comes across job listings from employers who say they want a web designer, and then they begin to list all these development tools that they expect this "designer" to know, like PHP, Python, advanced JavaScript, C#, .NET, PERL, etc.

If you can find someone who is both a designer and a developer and is good at either one (or both!), then I want to meet that person!

My problem is I am looking for web developer jobs, and I see the same thing. They're looking for a web developer, but then go on to say they expect this person to do design as well - including the graphics!

C'mon, people! This is EARTH! We are HUMANS! We need to eat, etc., and we're also not willing to work for peanuts to bring you the moon! Oh, and this is America, too, and I am offended when I see all of our jobs shipped overseas to places like India! But that's another story all its own.

I just wish employers would start being a little more ... realistic!


I'm a developer, not a designer, dammit!

posted by Bill  # 4:37 PM