Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
 
My Life is a Coincidence
I had an appointment to see the doctor today. I was also expecting the landlord to come over for an inspection (in my absence). I have a cat door that I installed as a seperate piece in a sliding glass door (that prevents the door from closing all the way) and through that separate piece is a hole for the network and telephone cable that leads out the the "shop" where I work at my computer.

We're not supposed to have cats, so I wanted to hide the cat door, which meant disconnecting the network and phone cables. Which I did. And I removed the cat door and went to see my doctor.

When I returned, I plugged the network cable back in and got...nothing. I could access the other computers on my LAN, but could not reach the Internet. I thought I was looking at another act in the Computer Circus, so I took some time to troubleshoot.

After rebooting the modem and the router, I realized I had a good connection. I could ping IP addresses, but not names (like google.com). I presumed that perhaps something was wrong with the DNS. I could ping the gateway, but neither DNS address responded. So, I presumed there must be something wrong with the service provider. I called them up, and sure enough - they reported that both DNS servers were having problems.

Whew!

The problem was not mine! OH - and there's more good news! I won an auction for a replacement router - one exactly like the one I had that died a while back. Finally! This one should work, and it has a return policy attached to it, so I should be back in business. Well, not that I am out of service now, but I just don't like the way this "new" router works as far as the configuration interface and the information it (doesn't) display.

Anyway, at least I got a taste of what it is like to be at home OFF THE COMPUTER for a little while today. My doctor suggests that I do that more often - like at least three times a week. So I have to figure out what I like to do that is aerobic. Perhaps I will take up tennis, since there are courts just half a block down the hill from here. In fact, I think I'll pick up some tennis balls tomorrow. Yeah. Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket!

We'll see.

posted by Bill  # 4:44 PM