Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Saturday, November 19, 2005
 
Strike Three is a Charm
So, you see, I simply can't let a good thing die. I had a router die a while back, and I have been trying to replace it with a router of the same model. I seem to be obsessed with getting it back, like a parent who has lost a child, I suppose. I just liked that router and the way it worked.

Last night, I just picked up a third replacement. The first two had problems. My original router died, mysteriously, when I changed a configuration option and rebooted it. The first replacement I bought from ebay simply didn't work. The second replacement, also from ebay, had a bad port on it. The third replacement was from a local individual, and I was determined to get a good one this time.

I carried my laptop out to the guy's place and tested the unit thoroughly before I paid for it and took it home. I was convinced I had finally found my replacement. But, of course, nothing related to computers actually works as it should.

Today, I tried to hook it up. What a fiasco. Well, it could have been worse, but being that this was my latest (and final) attempt in a long stream of fiascos, it didn't sit well that this attempt was no different (i.e. there were problems).

What a fucking surprise.

I unplugged the router that was supposed to be the temporary replacement, and plugged my latest acquisition in its place. I have a hub plugged into port 2 that connects to the linux server and another computer, but it didn't want to play. No green light. To make a long story short, I have another hub (different make and model) that used to connect to the linux box and my other computer, so I swapped out the hubs to restore my original configuration, and it worked. Just not on port 2.

WTF is wrong with port 2? Port 2 doesn't appear to work with any of my computers...except for the laptop that I used to test it with at the guy's house where I bought the router. Right now, the router and original hub are plugged in and working. I am at least able to type up this blog entry and access my linux box, but port 2 of the router is a hateful, hateful little bit mite. Needless to say (though I am going to say it anyway), I am PISSED!

Well, this was my final attempt to replace this router with another of the same model. It won't happen again. I have come to the conclusion that, although the original router was great and served me well while it was working, it seems that particular model is fraught with problems. Either that, or I am simply not meant to have one. There is another router out there somewhere with my name on it. I just would like to find it, soon.



Router 0: My original router. Died mysteriously - no longer talks to the WAN or the COM port.
Router 1: First replacement. Does not talk to the LAN (no green lights), though the COM port works.
Router 2: Second replacement. Port 1 is bad, but otherwise the unit works.
Router 3: Third replacement. Port 2 is flakey.

All routers are destined for burial. Or I might hang on to them for a nice July 4th display. BOOM!!

posted by Bill  # 2:34 PM