Bill's Computer Circus
Don't get caught with your system down.
NOTICE: This web site may not render correctly in older browers like Internet Explorer 5.2 for the Mac. May the gods help you if you are using Internet Explorer on any machine! Otherwise, if this site does not look right on your browser, please let me know what browser you are using (and what version and on what computer). Thanks!
"Visual Basic makes the easy things easier. Delphi makes the hard things easy."
-- unknown
Sunday, January 08, 2006
 
Backup Prevention
So, I finally got around to setting up my systems with some backups. My wife picked up a couple new drives from Fry's for me that were on sale, one of which was a Western Digital 120GB drive. It wasn't until I went to install it that I noticed the drive had been re-packaged into the box it was in. It was shrink-wrapped and was taped up where the packaging had been previously opened. The drive inside had no anti-static bag around it, and the IDE cable was hanging out of a plastic bag that had been torn open. When I installed the drive into my computer, I noticed it was formatted and had an operating system installed on it!

Fry's sold me a used drive!

So, now I have to package it all back up and take it back to Fry's and make them exchange it for a new one. What a foible! I can't wait to see how much trouble we have getting the rebate check for the thing in the next few months.

Anyway, I now have the other drive hooked up (a 250GB drive) just so I can experiment with some data recovery software and procedures. I am creating an image copy of my system drive to see if I can just pull out the original system drive and plug in the backup drive and reboot successfully. Once I determine that that works, then I can go to Fry's and get the drive exchanged, then resume my efforts to get this backup stuff together. And I can also put the 250GB drive into the other computer that we are going to use as our central backup server. I have some backup software that I am going to install on all the computers on the LAN that will automatically back up our files over the network at night while we're sleeping. 250GB ought to last us a little while (I'm not going to put my video stuff on there).

If it's not one thing, it's another!

posted by Bill  # 5:36 PM